Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Daddy's Blessing

In Preparation for Father's Day, I have been thinking about a "Daddy's Blessings". It's such a need amongst our youth today. Though my life wasn't surrounded always by the greatest dad, through the years of maturing in the Lord, my heart knows the true reward and treasure of a 'Daddy's Blessings.

I heard a story given about two years ago about a College Professor who had a student in his class who came to him one day and asked if he would give her a blessing. She had some important decisions to make and she needed the Lord’s guidance. This Bible College Professor knew her well and also her family. She came from a home where the dad was I guess "a less" active member in their local church....one who didn’t live the way he should I suppose. The College Professor knew he could give her a blessing but the Holy Spirit told him not to.

The College Professor told his student, "No, I don’t feel I should give you this blessing. You need to ask your father for the blessings". The student couldn’t believe what she had just heard! Her Professor and friend knew her dad, knew he wasn’t "worthy" and she left mad. However, later that week she decided she was going to ask her dad for the blessing. She gathered her courage, and that afternoon she walked into the living room where her dad sat in his favorite chair watching a ball game with a beer in his hand. She gathered her courage and said, "Dad, I need you to give me a blessing". Her father stared at her for a moment, didn’t say a word, got up and turned the television off, .....and walked out of the room and left the house. That was a Saturday afternoon. The family did not see their father for the rest of that day and not even the next day. Then in the evening when they had gathered together for their family devotional (the mother always made sure this happened) the door opened and in walked her dad, all dressed up and asked his daughter if she still wanted that blessing! The room became silent!!

She later said that he may not have given her the most profound blessing she’d ever heard but the spirit-inside him was so strong! That was only the beginning. Her dad from that point on, turned his life around and received Jesus in his heart. Years went by and He served many years as Pastor in that same church...all because one daughter had courage enough to say DAD WILL YOU GIVE ME A DAUGHTER'S BLESSING...he later died, and was considered an honorable man.

As a young man myself, we never know the influence we can have in our homes and in our family... whether we come from a christian, or even non-Christain home, whether dis-functional or functional. We need to be willing to let the spirit inside us touch the lives of those around us. We never know what one request or one word can do for a person, that including our parents.

When I think about this story, I'm reminded of how much I loved it when I heard it. I hope it will help or give you the inspiration to say the right things to your parents. As a leader and teacher in my local church, I have to be mindful of my role in the lives of the children, and younger listeners, even those older than me, for I know they too listen to the heart-spoken words I say.

We have to realize that no matter what age, what color or race we are, the Bible encourages us to always show honor and respect to our parents and leaders, so that our lives can become prosperous, and well-lived. We can help turn hearts to the unity-of-family as we follow the example of Christ's Holy Word. We have to maintain a level of Mature Positive Thinking, and engage our hearts to hear and know the voice of the Lord, to respond the way HE does. This College Professor was not self-righteous but instead humbled himself to listen to the Holy Spirit, which is essential for us as believers to do.

Think about a way you can BLESS YOUR FATHER on HIS CELEBRATING DAY!

To all the Dad's - HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

I love you deeply!
Dg

No comments:

Post a Comment