Friday, April 17, 2009

What Love Does

Have you ever questioned yourself about your friends? Am I really accepted? Am I really loved? Through my hard-times will someone stick with me and help me through my trials?

Oh how I have questioned so many times. Persevering through, gives me the idea of a possibility that just maybe, if no one will be there for me, I can be there for someone else, as Christ never left my side.

I have been doing this devotion "The Relationship Principles of Jesus" in which has been encouraging me in my time of Loving the way Christ love.

Tom Holladay writes: " The word persevere has a compelling picture behind it in the Greek Language-the picture of soldiers who, when the enemy was approaching, would tie their leg to a fellow soldier. By so doing, if fear were to overtake them, they wouldn't find themselves running away and leaving their friend to fight the battle alone. They literally bound themselves together so they could fight the battle together.

Let me encourage you, you may be right on the edge of quitting in a relationship. Hear again from Scripture encouraging truth about the power of love. "It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." Who do you need to decide to bind yourself to? Say these words to them: "I'll face this with you. even when every bone in my body wants to run and hide, we're bound together. I will stay with you, and we'll overcome together.

Do you wonder if you can really make the personal changes that will allow you to love as Jesus loved? The one who recorded for us Jesus' command to "love one another" certainly changed!! Jesus gave the apostle John, along with his brother James, the nickname "Sons of Thunder" (Mark 3:17) when they were young men. They were loud, opinionated, push, and prideful. In his later years, John became know as "the disciple who Jesus loved" (John 13:23). In his short letter of 1 John, he uses the word love more than any other New Testament letter does. What brought about the change? I believe it was what happened in the upper room on the night before Jesus died on the cross. When John heard speak the words "Love one another." his heart and life were changed. Those words became the theme of the rest of his life, as evidenced by how often he repeats them in his writings.

John got it!!! When other believers around him began to divide over details, John loved like Jesus and encouraged fellowship and acceptance. When His brother James was the first believer to be martyred for his faith, John loved like Jesus and forgave. When he as an old man faced exile for his faith, John loved like Jesus and sacrificed. These words of Jesus, empowered by the person of Jesus, changed the entire direction of John's life. They can change your life too. "

I challenge you. These words have provoked me to examine every area of my life, to Love and Influence the way Christ did, and continues to do. I love you dear friend. May we join the life of Christ and truly be people of Great Loving Impact.

I love you deeply!
dg

No comments:

Post a Comment